Wednesday, September 23, 2015

10 German Names You Never Thought of Using: Boys

Image Credit
We're on to German names for boys today--a real favorite of mine. What are your favorite German names? Tell me below.

Alaric- For those of you looking for a robust, masculine name, put Alaric on your list. He means "all powerful ruler," and has ties to ancient kings.

Ansel- With teen heartthrob Ansel Elgort making his way into the mainsteam, are we going to see more baby Ansels? My guess is yes. People are loving softer names for boys lately, and Ansel is just that.

Arno- The strong, sophisticated Arno has never been that popular (he peaked in 1897 at #728), but could be become so? The generation of children who grew up watching Hey Arnold! are transitioning into parenthood--might they be inspired to drop off the last two letters?

Benno- Ooh, I adore Benno! He's a swankier version of the much overused Ben, and a great pan-European choice.

Fritz- Fritz is another one of my favorites--he goes on and off my short list constantly. He can be used as a nickname for Frederick or on his own (we all know which I prefer). Fritz is downright spunky--I predict we will be seeing more of him in the coming years.

Humphrey- The big question here: is Humphrey a dog name? The short answer is yes. Currently, you will meet a lot more dogs than humans with the name Humphrey. But I have a theory (and I know I've explained this before) that the dog names we choose are just ahead of the curve for humans. In a couple years, we'll all be on board with Humphrey. Trust me.

Ivo- I'm a big fan of the short, unique name, and Ivo definitely falls into that category. He's gentler than Ivor, and more modern than Ivan. Ivo's an all around great choice.

Rainer- Nowadays, Rain has gone completely to the girls. If you're disappointed by this, I suggest you take a look at Rainer. He blends nature and surname-style perfectly.

Romer- It'll take a few generations for Homer to be usable again, but in the mean time, how about Romer? He gets bonus points for the unisex nickname Romy.

Till- This contemporary nickname is all over the place in Germany. He's in the top 100 on his own, but was commonly used as a short form of Dietrich or Theodoric in the past.

4 comments:

  1. I love Fritz! I am so glad you mentioned it. Till is fun too.
    My other favorite German boys names are Hugo, Ludwig, Otto und RĂ¼diger.
    Humphrey though is not really a German name, it is the English version of German Humfried. (I like Humphrey better.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, thank you. Hugo and Otto are great!

      Delete
  2. By the way, I have never ever encountered the name Romer! When I researched it, it is probably because it is northern German, and I am from the South.

    The North has an interesting set of Names for boys anyways, among these Jonte (Yohn-tuh), Hauke (How-kuh) or Ruven (Roo-ven). A lot of overlap with scandinavian Namens too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting! Ruven is really cool.

      Delete