Wednesday, September 2, 2015

10 Arabic Names You Never Thought of Using: Girls

via For the Love of Names on Pinterest. Follow her!
Depending on where you live in the United States, Arabic names are seldom heard. You're much more likely to hear them in Europe, Africa, and of course, the Middle East. I'm lucky to live in a place where almost all cultures are represented, so I'm no stranger to Arabic names. However, this list contains some names that even I had never heard of, and I'm excited to share it with you.

Anisa- Anisa is a simpler variation of Aanisah, and means "good natured." Even though the two are unrelated, her similarity to the spice anise makes me think she'd be a good name for the daughter of a chef.

Aziza- Looking for a zesty alternative to Aviva? Aziza is your best option. She's spunky and fresh--I kind of love her.

Farida- So many Arabic names have simply beautiful meanings, and Farida is no exception. She means "unique and precious pearl," how lovely is that? She'd be wonderful for a June baby, who's birthstone is the pearl.

Hadiya- I've told you before about my love for Hadiya. Nothing has changed! I would love to see her used more often in the U.S.--Hadiya is extremely import friendly.

Nazia- Nazia is one of those names I had never heard of before (she doesn't even have an entry on Nameberry!), but I'm so glad I finally did, because she's remarkably beautiful. Nazia means "woman who we are proud of," and her likeness to Nadia makes her a perfect unsual yet familar pick for an American baby.

Noor- You've most likely heard of Noor. But unless you live in the Netherlands (where she is so popular) you probably never really thought of using her. Her sweet simplicity makes her attractive to parents from all cultures. Noor can fit into many a sibset.

Omaira- Omaira means "red," so put her on the list for any ginger-haired, Autumn-born babies that you'll have. There's not much information on her, but it seems as if she derived from Omar, and therefore makes a lovely honor name for him.

Peridot- Oh, Peridot. I have talked about her so much (one, two, three, four, five, six). She's definitely one of my guilty pleasure names. And the nickname Dot! I die.

Zaina- Zaina (and similarly, Zayna) are variations of Zaynab--"beautiful" in Arabic, and also a tree name. -ain names might be the next big thing in the U.S., so Zaina would be right on trend.

Zuelia-
I'm a big fan of a Julia substituion (see here: Tulia), so you can imagine how excited I was to find Zuelia. I love her soothing zue sound, though I understand the similarity to "zoo" might bother some people.

3 comments:

  1. Hadiya and Noor are very nice. I am particularly fond of Naima, my favorite arabic name by far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like Amira. I forgot about this one.

      I really like how this series broadens horizons!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! That's my goal with this series. There are beautiful names from all cultures, but we tend to see things from a very Euro-centric point of view. I want people to know that they can look outside their culture for names--they might find something they really like!

      Delete