Wednesday, July 15, 2015

10 English Names You Never Thought of Using: Boys

Image Credit
This new series has gotten a great response so far. I'm glad you all like it as much as I do. Today we're on English names for boys--there's one for every comfort zone.

Auberon- Auberon is a nice option for parents looking for a more delicate, not hyper-masculine name. He derives from Aubrey, so he has potential to be an honor name as well. 

Benton- Yes, there are many ways to get to Ben. But Benton is one of the most attractive of the bunch. Plus, he's easy to pronounce and spell, so there'd be little to no confusion. 

Hobson- Hobson has a delightfully British sound, but I think he'd do well in America. He comes from Robert, and hasn't been in the top 1000 since 1900. As a bonus, the nickname Hobbes has a innocent and playful feel, thanks to Bill Watterson's comic books. 

Hyde- Has Hyde given up his Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde association? My first thought is the Chicago neighborhood Hyde Park, but I am a native Chicagoan. I like Hyde's short simplicity and surname feel. He'd be wonderful as a middle, and perhaps as a first name if you're undeterred. 

Jem- What do you guys think of Jem? Personally, I see him as a lovely nickname for James, Jeremy, and the like. But I worry he sounds too feminine for American ears. I would LOVE to see someone use Jem on a son--please tell me if you do. 

Ogden- I talked about Ogden in my O Names post back in December. He's still one of my favorites--wouldn't the nickname Oggie be so cute?

Palmer- I always find it interesting which names gain favor, and which ones are left behind. Palmer is definitely one of the latter, though similar names like Parker and Porter have had major success. The palm association makes him ideal for an Easter or summertime baby. 

Shaw- Shaw is another name I wonder about all the time. He's uncomplicated, neat, and a surname name. Why haven't people discovered him? With the Seans, Shauns, and Shawns of the world preparing to become parents, maybe Shaw will see a resurgance. 

St. John- Quite possibly the best baby name trivia question ever: How do you pronounce St. John? Ask anyone on the street, and they'll give you a funny look and say (SAINT-JON). Anyone who's thoroughly examined a baby name book will tell you, nope, it's SIN-jin. How's that for confusing? Fortunately, if you named your baby St. John, you could pronounce it however you please--there aren't enough of them in America for it to be "wrong." If you did choose to pronounce it the traditional way, be prepared for a lot of correcting. 

Tad- Let's end on a more usable one. Tad is nickname for Theodore (originally Thaddeus), which is great if you love it, but can't get behind Theo or Teddy. People seem to have trouble finding ways to honor Todds, but his similarity to Tad makes me think that this could work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment